[uxgraz] (Un-)Usable Security at UXCamp Graz?

Stefan list at 2904.cc
Wed Mar 4 15:34:48 CET 2015

Hi all,

I hope it's OK to ask this on your list.

As most of you might know, there will be a UXCamp[1] on this year's BarCamp
Graz[2] (17.-19. April). I am currently thinking about organizing a
discussion/brainstorming session about the "(Un-)Usability of Security"
there. Maybe somebody here wants to join me in doing so?

Since I am not a UX-/UI-expert (but a student of it-security), I am also
looking for input & opinions regarding this topic[3]. Maybe some of you are
also concerned about it.

When I talk about "Security", I mean security in the sense of
"it-security". In my case this mostly concerns software (but often also
hardware) ranging from your operating system, your web browser, your email
and chat client to Facebook and your mobile phone.
(Ever tried to send an encrypted email? Who knows what all this
"certificate warnings" in Firefox/Chrome are about? Do you know when your
WiFi is secure, and when not? etc.)

Security and usability are two parameters which are often played out
against each other when it comes to designing and developing software. In
my opinion that should not be the case.

This does not only concern user interfaces, but also processes and
protocols - so I think the term "user experience" applies. ;-)

Cheers,
 Stefan

[1] http://barcamp-graz.at/information/uxcamp/
[2] http://barcamp-graz.at/